Awareness Worksheet (from Online Survivor to Thriver Workbook by ASCA)
Physical/ emotional/ intuitive signs that tell me I might be in danger:
- I feel trapped, like a caged wild animal; I want to leave but I don’t know how.
- My physical movement looks inhibited (someone is blocking a path of exit).
- I feel nervous (my body feels like it needs to move suddenly/ randomly).
- I feel anxious, like all my veins are electrified; I think it’s adrenaline flooding me.
- My heart begins to race.
- I find it suddenly harder to focus.
- I feel agitated. This starts more as an intellectual thing, but quickly overwhelms me emotionally.
- My stomach hurts.
- I suddenly have diarrhea.
- I feel awkward, like I don’t really belong in the group/ situation.
- Certain smells make me want to flee.
- The presence of a few specific people would make me want to immediately leave.
- I suddenly feel some kind of faux-shame, but there’s no reason for it. (My body/emotions feel that before my mind can discern what in my environment has made me feel helpless.
- I feel impotent or helpless or having no capacity to contribute; I don’t like being just a spectator.
- I feel like an object, like someone is staring at me, like I’m just there for their entertainment. I don’t like to be the only contributor.
- I sense someone is near, but I can’t see them.
- I hear something, but I can’t identify it’s cause.
(Next posts will address “Assessment” and “Action”.)