I’m working through ASCA’s “Survivor to Thriver” Chapter Four, “Remembering”
Step One: Breath and Affirm!
When I adopt or write affirmations for myself, I like to try to compose them as short mantras so that I can integrate the thought into my breathing. An ancient prayer that does this is “Jesu juva; soli Deo gloria.” I pray “Jesu juva” as I inhale, and “soli Deo gloria” exhaling. I fill myself with Christ’s Grace, and I hope to live humbly giving God glory. The essential meaning/ thought/ feeling is that I am gratefully yielding all of me to Christ, fully trusting Abba-Christ-Spirit holds me, and is birthing me into who I am meant to be.
Here are a few of my affirmations specific to being a survivor, becoming a thriver:
- It is Good that I exist; I celebrate my Being!
- God loves me, and so do I!
- My broken-ness doesn’t mean I am damaged; I am healing and becoming whole.
- I let Grace flow in as I let go of what I don’t need.
- I don’t need to be perfect; I only need to continue healing and growing.
- I am not a thing for others’ pleasure; I am a Sacred Person who can share blessing.
I found these from the Audacious Life helpful as well.
Here is a list of affirmations I composed to help me let go of things.
If you’ve found/ made a list of affirmations you’ve found effective, feel free to leave links in comments to this post! Thanks!